What are Archives?

Archives primarily mean a place where records or documents are stored. Historical and administratively important documents are the archival document.

Who can refer to Records / Documents in Archives?

All bonafide research scholars students, officers of the Government of Maharashtra, heads of the department, officers of the Government of India, and other State Governments, members of the Historical Record Commission, 'Vice Chancellors, Professors, Readers and Lecturers of an Indian University and any other person accepted by the Director, Directorate of Archives.

Do I need to register in the Archives in order to refer to Records / Documents?

Yes, you need to register in the Archives for availing the facilities of Archives.

How can I get registered?

By filling up the prescribed form.

Can I get Microfilms, Scan image and photo copies of the Records?

Yes, the facility of providing Microfilms, scan and photo copies of archival documents is also available on payment.

How can a foreign scholar refer to Records?

Foreign scholars shall produce a letter of accreditation from the Embassies of their respective countries in India certifying that they are bonafide Research Scholars.

What are the facilities I am entitled to if I register?

Library & Research facility.